Wednesday 31 August 2011

Heart of Glass

Spaghettini Asiatiche Dolce con Cocco & Vaniglia e Lamponi Freschi alla Menta
Sweet Glass Noodles with Coconut & Vanilla and Fresh Raspberries and Mint



Now that is a pretty little dessert there, isn't it? Fresh, light, simple and delicious... what's not to love? And do you want to know what else- it's totally healthy and a no-guilt delight that you will have this put together in next to no time as well! So grab a little saucepan, hold on to your horses and let's quickly put this little crowd-pleaser together and have some fun!


I don't know what I was thinking to tell you the truth... sweet glass noodles? Now that is something I have never seen before- which is almost reason enough in itself to give it a try, no? Basically, I was inspired mostly by sweet spaghetti dishes like the classic lemon spaghetti with vodka and cream. And by the fact that Peggy donated the berries. Oh, you all don't know Peggy? She's the sweetheart at work who always comes along with little treats for me to try out and who occasionally is my ride when I hop out into suburbia to see my folks... so thanks again Peggy! I am dedicating this one to you!

So suddenly, I had this little tub of berries to take care of tonight.... hmmm, what to do? I thought of making some kind of pastry or an ice cream... I could easily think of a number of more traditional recipes than this one.... But I think my dessert (in all modesty!) is much easier and much tastier... and way cooler!



In a small saucepan, bring a little milk to a gentle boil, add sugar, vanilla, coconut flakes and cinnamon and add the glass noodles. Stir them into the milk well and turn the heat down to a very light simmer. For this dessert, I prefer to cook the noodles a little longer than usual, so that they will have a nice, soft, smooth consistency. Let the noodles boil for 5 minutes and then turn off the heat and let them cool down. This recipe tastes better either at room temperature or chilled.




And I am almost too embarrassed to say that, that is all there to it! All you need to do now is to serve up your creamy, flavorful noodles, with plenty of fresh mint and a light drizzle of honey. Enjoy something delicious and new- but with familiar combination of berries and mint... and the creamy, custard flavor of vanilla- but without the guilt!

You know it's got to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment