Tuesday 1 November 2011

I'll Bake You a Supper You Can't Refuse...

Cardi, Pecorino & Pomodori, Gratinate alla Mollica al Forno
Cardoon, Goat Cheese, Tomato and Breadcrumb Bake


This is it- my final cardoon recipe for a while! This was the last 2 stalks of cardoon and 2 tomatoes that I transformed into a yummy vegetarian supper in just 30 minutes. Well, I say 30 minutes, as the cardoons were already pre cooked. This is- you guessed it- another one of those "left over" meals- but perfect for a cold Fall evening!

I cut the tomato into slices and fried it gently with a little onion and garlic, in a little olive oil and butter. Whilst that was going on, I finely chopped a handful of parsley and crumbled the pecorino. After 3-4 minutes, when the tomatoes were slightly soft, I removed them from the frying pan and removed the pan from the heat. I added the breadcrumbs and parsley into the pan and soaked up any remaining oil, the garlic and the onion... and was ready to go!


I added the crumbled pecorino to the breadcrumbs once they were cool and then began to assemble my dish. I spaced out the cardoons and tomatoes evenly and sprinkled them with the cheese and breadcrumb mix. I repeated this until my baking dish was full. I then pressed down on it all, so as to squash the tomatoes a little and to cause the juices to seep out. I seasoned it with salt and pepper, gave it a light drizzle of olive oil and popped it into a moderate oven for 10-15 minute until everything was steamy and soft and piping hot. I then turned on the broiler for the final 2-3 minutes, for a bit of color and crunch! And another simple Vegetarian meal was born... Sicilian-style!

No comments:

Post a Comment