Friday 11 November 2011

Pearfect Soup!

Zuppa di Avocado & Pomodoro Secco
Avocado & Sun-Dried Tomato Soup


This is not the supper I was planning on making- it was going to be a pasta dish this evening actually- with beans and lentils. I was really looking forward to making it to. And then destiny called, in the shape of a ripe avocado pear that had slipped to the back of my fruit basket and was perfectly ripe and ready to be eaten. So it was a snap-decision to rescue the avocado and to save the pasta for another day. I hate to let good food go to waste... so I didn't! I invented this incredible soup instead!

The first thing I did was to check my fridge for other ingredients. I had one little chunk of salami, some celery and carrots- good ingredients to use in a soup.  But something seemed lacking in order for me to think I could actually turn this idea into a reality- I needed something with a strong flavor to lift the mild and rather bland taste of the avocado. And of course the solution was sun-dried tomato!

I started off by sautéeing celery, carrots and onion together with the salami, which I cut into thin slices. Of course, having the salami in there, I didn't need extra fat. I stirred and fried them together for 3-4 minutes, adding a little finely chopped garlic, chopped parsley and a little chopped rosemary. Then I added the avocado, which I had chopped relatively finely.


I stirred vigorously, in order to mash the avocado a little and added boiling water- just enough to begin turning the avocado chunks into a fine paste. I seasoned it with grated nutmeg and chili and a squeeze of lime juice. I kept adding water, little by little, to bring the thick avocado cream into a nice consistency.

After about 5 minutes of stirring, adding water and checking the seasoning, I added the sun-dried tomatoes, a little finely sliced spring onion and a final sprinkle of chili flakes. I was very surprised to be honest, as I didn't expect this to taste so good... but it did! Just be brave with your seasoning- the avocado can take it! And at the same time, the avocado will "bind" and thicken the soup nicely...I enjoyed this a lot! And hope that you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment