Sunday 27 November 2011

Rockin' Rolls!

Dolci al Pistacchio, Zucca, Cocco e Uvetta
Pistachio, Pumpkin, Coconut and Raisin Pinwheels 



Here's another one of my "pastries for people who can't bake" ideas for you. Oh, I'm sorry- I didn't mean to insult you and suggest that you don't know how to bake... it's ME that doesn't know how to bake! And so occasionally I come up with this kind of little sweet-treat, using pre-made puff pastry - which of course you would be crazy to go to all the trouble of making when someone else can do much better for us...

So how did I make them? Easy! I had the last hunk of leftover Hokkaido pumpkin left over, which I grated finely. You can use and kind of pumpkin- this is just what I happened to have at home today. To the grated pumpkin I added dried coconut flakes, raisins and chopped pistachios. I added a little maple syrup, a little grated ginger, a good sprinkle of cinnamon and a tiny hint of nutmeg. The amount of each ingredient is up to you and is purely a matter of taste.


Mix all of the ingredients together well using a fork or a whisk- the consistency should be slightly moist, but not too dense- it should still easily crumble apart. I didn't add any extra butter or fat- I think there is enough in the puff-pastry for my taste. Also, a little bit of Maple syrup goes a long way and the raisins are already sweet in themselves. So much to the ingredients!

Spread the filling out onto the pastry and make sure the raisins are distributed evenly- it would be a shame if they all clumped together in one place. Now roll the pastry together tightly and begin to cut slices from it of about 1" in size. Lay these on their sides and give them a little squeeze down flat to keep them in shape. Bake in a pre heated oven at a high heat for 10-15 minutes until the pastry puffs up and becomes golden brown- that's all there is to it! And in the meantime, you can brew yourselves a pot of coffee and get ready to enjoy some yummy hot pastries!

No comments:

Post a Comment