Sunday 25 March 2012

Big Red Salad

Insalata di Radice Rosso, Carote e Cetriolo, con Miele, Yogurt e Senape
Radish, Carrot and Cucumber Salad with Honey, Yogurt & Mustard Dressing


Now, you are asking yourself where the "red" in the salad is hiding, right? Big red nothing is what you are thinking- but the name refers to the kind of radish I used to make this. The variety I used goes by a number or names- "Red Scarlet" is one and "Neckarruhn" it the other I have been able to find for you online. But the fact is, that this radish looks exactly like a carrot- only of course in red... and rather different to those little salad radishes we all know and love.

The flavor is much milder- it has the typical taste of radish without that earthy and peppery aspect that they tend to have. In any case- it made for a wonderfully refreshing salad this afternoon- and I put it together like this...


I cut the radish and cucumber into very thin slices and shaved a small carrot into strips using a vegetable peeler. I then sliced a Spring onion very thinly and plucked some dill to add a little green and to compliment the cucumber. I put all of these ingredients into a small bowl and marinated them briefly in lime juice, sugar, salt and a little olive oil. After 5-6 minutes, I carefully took them and arranged them on my serving plate as you can see below.


Of course I made a tasty dressing to go with the salad and it  was a very simple affair too. I used the leftover lime juice that I had marinated the other ingredients in and added a tablespoon of Dijon mustard to it, stirred it well and added 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. I seasoned it with salt and pepper, added a little more olive oil and that was it... pretty easy, huh?

I didn't add honey to the dressing, but rather, trickled some pure honey onto the salad before serving- it makes for a nicer flavor and is more pleasing when you taste each separate flavor when eating. And the combination of all of these flavors was a treat indeed- one that I hope you might enjoy too!



No comments:

Post a Comment