Saturday 10 March 2012

In a Bit of a Pickle

Torta Salata con Cipoletti, Bresaola, Pomodorini, Formaggio Fresco & Maggiorana
Balsamic Onion, Bresaola & Cream Cheese and Cherry Tomato Tart with Marjoram


Here's a strange little concoction for you- I like a bit of "strange" every once in a while... I hope you do too! I really think that life is too short to be eating boring food- even the simplest of ingredients can be used in different ways to make them fun and exciting...

This little snack-sized tart, was made using a little store-bought puff-pastry and something I used to love from my childhood- pickled onions! I discovered these roasted and pickled onions recently that are sweet and tangy, with a nice balsamic flavor... and the perfect thing to knock this simple little snack into orbit!


Very easy this one- simply line your baking dish or tray with pastry and lay out 2-3 slices of Bresaola, or whichever kind of ham you prefer. I love Bresaola- it is a very lean and mild cured beef and works very well with the onions- which go on next. Set out some halved cherry tomatoes between the onions and then pop your tart into the oven for around 10 minutes at a moderate heat, which will give you enough time to prepare the cream cheese.

In this case, I used a very low-fat cheese curd, but you can use whichever cheese you prefer. I added finely chopped marjoram to it, a little salt and pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil.

After 10 minutes, I took the tart out of the oven and carefully dropped a little of the cheese into the spaces in-between the onion and tomato. I drizzled the tart with balsamic glaze and a little honey and returned it to the oven to brown... and about 6-7 minutes later it was finished! And it was totally delicious too!

No comments:

Post a Comment