Saturday 5 May 2012

Fresher than Fresh!

Asparagi con Patate, Pisellini, Sesamo e Timo
Asparagus, Potatoes & Snow Peas with Sesame and Thyme


What an unbelievably dull and rainy day here in Frankfurt- and that in May! So what's a guy to do? That's right, put up that umbrella and get out to the indoor market- where all of the Spring produce you can imagine lies in store... whatever the weather!

Though not a great fan, this white asparagus looked so wonderfully young and tender that I couldn't resist. After all- it IS the season! I decided to combine it with some new potatoes and sugar snap peas, to make a meatless but flavorful supper... and it ended up being rather nice- even if I do say so myself!


I scrubbed and washed the potatoes, but left them unpeeled- I always think it is nicer to have the earthy flavor of the peel- especially if it browns a little during cooking! I cut the potatoes, which were nice and small, into quarters and boiled them for 5 minutes. In the meantime I peeled the asparagus and prepared a little orange zest for later.

After 5 minutes cooking time, I added the asparagus to the potatoes- I simply laid it on top and return the lid. 10 minutes later the potatoes were ready- and of course the asparagus was too! Yes- this is going to be a quick meal! Don't you just love it?

I then heated a little olive oil in a frying pan and browned the potatoes gently. After 3-4 minutes, I added some finely chopped garlic, the orange zest, plenty of fresh thyme, the asparagus and the peas. I sautéed everything together gently and seasoned it with some coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper, a little nutmeg and a squeeze of orange juice. So there you have it- a few ingredients, very little work and a lot of good and healthy flavor! Who cares if it's raining outside! It is Springtime at my dining table!







No comments:

Post a Comment