Friday 11 May 2012

Fruitopia

Crema al Limone con Mirtilli e Yogurt

Lemon Cream with Blueberries and Yogurt


This was my "almost-healthy" after-dinner treat this evening- and a very simple and yet delicious affair it is too! The lemon cream was my take on a traditional lemon curd, but I omitted the butter and replaced it instead with a little coconut milk to add that touch or richness to smooth out the tanginess of the lemon.

I love trying out combinations that taste wonderful but are healthier options than the regular ice-cream or other other rich and heavy desserts. i can be done and it is a good thing indeed when you do find a way to have some great guilt-free treats every now and then!


For the lemon cream, which was a little tricky because I made such a small amount, I used 2 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of corn starch, 1 teaspoon of Stevia, 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and a half cup of water... as well as the juice and zests of 2 lemons! Yes- this is going to be a zap-pow-zinger of a dessert!

I heated up the water and added the lemon juice and zest, the stevia and coconut milk and brought it to the boil- then reduced the temperature to a gentle simmer and added the cornstarch, whisking briskly the whole time to avoid any lumps. Once it had begun to thicken, I removed it from the heat and continued whisking until it started to cool a little more.

Working very quickly, I added the egg yolks and beat, beat, beat the mixture until it became smooth and rich and creamy. This is not a dish for lazy kitchen workers! You need to work this thing to get it to work for you! Let the cream cool a little and then chill it properly in the fridge before serving.

I spooned the lemon cream into my glass first and then layed out a layer of blueberries on top, which I then covered with a thick, but lower fat, Greek styled yogurt... and then covered that as well in in blueberries. After at least a half hour of refrigeration, this wonderfully fruity and delicious dessert was ready to be served and enjoyed! It really was that simple!


No comments:

Post a Comment