Tuesday 1 May 2012

Turkey Delight!

Spiedini di Tacchino con Dragoncello & Limone e Couscous con le Erbe & Cumquat "Tandoori"
Tarragon & Lemon Turkey Skewers + Tandoori & Cumquat Couscous


Whist making my weekly trip to the wonderful indoor market here in Frankfurt this Saturday, I decided to have a look and see what was there from our local poultry farms. The picking were rather meager this week, except for some nice and succulent looking slices of turkey breast. Thinking that it is a shame that the mass-production methods of poultry in general has put a dent in our desire to purchase our feathered friends but once or twice a year, at Thanksgiving or Christmas... I decided to try something as little more Summer-orientated with it for a change.

Chicken and tarragon is an old favorite, so I thought to myself that I would try something similar out with the turkey... so I cut it into strips, which I skewered and   flavored a little something like this...


I started off by frying the turkey skewers in just a little clarified butter, and once I had let them get a little brown on either side, added a teaspoon of smooth mustard, a good handful of finely chopped tarragon and a tablespoon of honey. I then added a half a cup of water, the juice of half a lemon and kept on turning the skewers over and over in this mix until it began to reduce down and thicken.

The water evaporates away as this honey/herb/lemon dressing bubbles away and makes the chicken tender and moist. It would have been nice to have fried these without the water, but then they would have ended up being dry and tough. This way they don't dry out and they will eventually turn brown because of the honey... in all they should only take 7-8 minutes until they are good to go!

For the couscous, I took 1 cupful of couscous, added 1 teaspoon of tandoori powder, the quartered and pitted cumquats, finely chopped mint, parsley, tarragon and rosemary, a little finely chopped Spring onion. I added a little sesame oil to this mix and poured boiling water over it, then allowed it to sit for 5-6 minutes. That was all it took!

I gave it a little squeeze of lime juice and last few drops of sesame oil... and dinner was served! Slightly exotic, totally delicious... and absolutely easy to make! Enjoy!
  



No comments:

Post a Comment