Friday 15 June 2012

The Fresh Prince of Salads!

Insalata di Cetriolo, Ananas, Mirtilli e Crescione
Cucumber, Blueberry; Pineapple and Cress Salad


Nothing more refreshing than a nice, crunchy, cucumber salad for a hot Summer's day, right?
Well actually, yes- I think there just might be... something like this for example! Just a tad more exotic and a little more fun, this combination with blueberries, pineapple and cress was quite a revelation this evening! I guess I get lucky when I just throw these dishes together sometimes- haha!

But the reality of the matter is that I just know how to combine flavors well my friends... cool cucumber and tangy pineapple and berries, with some savory Spring onion and peppery cress- this is just a sure thing! And just look at how wonderful those colors are together... so get yourself into the kitchen and give it a go for yourself! I really recommend it!


As you can see, this dish basically just calls for the slicing of the cucumber, the dicing of the pineapple and chopping of the Spring onion. The rest is just presentation and a simple dressing which I will share with you right now. Keep it simple, make it tasty- and enjoy your food!

There really is nothing much to preparing a vinaigrette or salad dressing and definitely no need to reach out for one of those store-bought dressings! Nooo! Apart from them being awful and full of artificial flavorings, they are just no FUN! You do want to make your own food after all! So here we go...


Stir 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice into 5 tablespoons of olive oil, add 2 tablespoons of honey, the juice of half a lime, a pinch of salt and a pinch of finely-ground Sechuan pepper and whisk together until smooth. There- that wasn't too hard now, was it?

Build the salad up in layers, starting with the cucumber and making sure to use a little of each ingredient on each layer. I sprinkled mine additionally with a little seasoned salt, but basically I just arranged all the layers and then drizzled it all nicely with the dressing.

As with all nice salads- you are going to want to make sure to get a little of each ingredient on your fork- because that's what this is all about- crazy-good combinations to tickle your taste buds! Hope you like the look of this and maybe give it a go- because I am pretty sure (as always), that you are going like this!



2 comments:

  1. I like cucumber salad a lot, but I had never thought to add fruits. But it makes sense to me now that you mention it. May give this a try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Frank! Glad you like the sound of it... I am sure you will like the taste of it too if you give it a go! Buon appetito! ;-) Francesco

    ReplyDelete