Friday 8 June 2012

Pasta Tricolore!

Bavette con Peperoni & Zucchine
Bavette with Red Peppers and Zucchini




If ever there was a color combination that aroused more appetite than red, white and green... it sure got beat into submission, didn't it? This does look pretty delicious- even if I do say so myself! And yes, simple- as with most good Italian pasta dishes. Not too many flavors, not too many ingredients, not too much craziness... but plenty of taste and flavor!


Using just one red, pointed pepper (a bell pepper would be just fine) and a round zucchini, (of course a regular one would be just fine too!), I managed to bring to life two wonderful servings of pasta. It doesn't always have to be tomato sauce, you don't need cream or fancy ingredients... just a couple of fresh vegetables and you are on your way!




I started by chopping the whole of the red pepper in a fine dice, along with half of the zucchini. I wanted to use the rest, to have some nice large slices for texture and contrast. I fried the slices first, using only a very small amount of olive oil and quite a lot of heat- don't let them sit in a pool of oil and boil! Keep the heat high and the oil low- that way you will get them brown!


I started the pasta boiling, because the rest was going to happen quickly!


After 2-3 minutes of frying, I added some finely chopped rosemary and garlic to the zucchini, salted and peppered them and then set them to one side. With no further ado, I immediately added the finely chopped pepper and zucchini, along with some finely chopped onion, a little more garlic, salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and a little lemon juice. 


Whilst the finely diced vegetables were frying, I chopped a good handful of parsley and a few chives... these would go in at the end. By now the pasta had been boiling for 5-6 minutes, so I drained it and added it to the other ingredients, along with the freshly chopped herbs. 


I grated it generously with nutmeg, added a little more olive oil and stirred it all together well. At this point, I carefully added the sliced back into the pan, to bring them up to temperature for a minute or so... and after that- I was ready to eat! 


I sprinkled it with flaked toasted paprika rather and a little salted ricotta before eating (but sadly AFTER I took the photos!)- but there you go! I am sure you will be more careful... and I am also sure you will enjoy!


Buon Apetito!



No comments:

Post a Comment