Saturday 30 June 2012

A Pear of Tortillas

Tortilla con Formaggio Blu, Pera e Peperoncino
Blue Cheese, Pear and Chili Tortilla Rolls


A little late-lunchtime snack was the order of the day today- I got off to a slow start, breakfast came late and then lunch got postponed whilst I got down to other more important things- like getting myself out to the market! But hey- it happens to the best of us! And what can you do when you find yourself in that kind of predicament? That's right... improvise!

So basically this is just a cheese on toast really. It also takes precisely as little time to make as a regular cheese on toast- but is much more yummy and fun! There really isn't much to tell about putting these together... but the little bit that there is goesn a little something like this...


Take the tortillas and fold over each outside edge towards the middle to form a triple-layered strip. I have made these tortilla snacks many times before, but to be honest, I have always ended up rolling them when it came to eating them because they are so thin and delicate to handle. So this way I had a more substantial base to work from.

First of all, I spread the tortillas with a little sweet, coarse-grained mustard. I then sliced my pear thinly and laid down the slices evenly along the length. Next, I simply crumbled blue cheese over the top- not too much mind you, as it does melt very quickly and will become liquid and spill out everywhere if you are not careful!

I popped it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, until the pears had softened and the cheese had melted, then took it back out and drizzled it lightly with honey, before returning it for a further 2-3 minutes until it was golden and brown and delicious!

I sprinkled it with finely chopped chives and a good sprinkle of chili flakes and then patted myself on the back for making such a tasty snack and waited no time in eating it up whilst it was still way too hot! That's how good it was! Mmmm!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Thomas! It really is a pity I am so far away... I am sure I could learn a lot from you! Best wishes- Francesco

    ReplyDelete