Thursday 21 June 2012

Pizza Pie for to Die for!

Pizza con Agnello Trittato, Verdure, Cumino, Rosmarino & Pecorino
Pizza with Beet Greens, Ground Lamb, Cumin, Rosemary & Goat Cheese


Another "nod" to the old country with this dish! Sicily! Can't wait to get back there in September and finally do a little more exploring the island! And trying some of the authentic dishes... as opposed to my dishes, born of my strange and twisted imagination!

No, you will not find anything like this in any Sicilian cook book... but you will find flavors, ingredients and dishes that inspired me to make it! As I had some of the ground lamb from last night left over (and actually- I still have a little more for tomorrow as well!!), I decided to make a dish with a slightly Arabic influence in the seasoning. So I added cumin seeds, rosemary and sumac to make the lamb really delicious and some goat cheese to make everything a little richer, the beet leaves for a deep and earthy flavor and a drizzle of honey to harmonise everything together... And you know what? It worked!


Ana again- the method was very, very simple! I started to fry the ground lamb in a hot drying pan, with no extra oil. I added chopped garlic, cumin seeds, rosemary, salt, pepper and some dried chili flakes. After 4-5 minutes, I added some chopped spring onion and a little Ras el Hanout spice. I then pushed the meat to one side and added the beet root greens to the other side of the pan. I seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and stirred it around until it all got coated in the oil from the ground meat and then removed it and the ground lamb from the frying pan.

The next step was to lay out a sheet of pizza dough into the pan and then to lay out the
greens equally first. Next, I spread the meat and onion around and sprinkled rosemary on top. I added little chunks of goat cheese here and there, to help bring all of the delicious flavors together, along with a sprinkle of sumac, a little nutmeg and some freshly ground pepper. I folded the outside edges over decoratively- and off into the oven, as the highest possible temperature it went!

After 10 minutes of baking, you can add a little honey on top and pop it back underneath the broiler. You will notice the folded-over edge will begin to lift and puff up... so just squash it down a little with a wooden spoon and pop it back for the last minute... and dinner can be served!

No comments:

Post a Comment