Saturday 11 August 2012

A Pear of Bananas at Breakfast

Fiocchi d'Avena Tostate con Banana, Pera e Yogurt
Pan-Toasted Banana & Coconut Oatmeal with Pear & Yogurt


Yes, sure there is a pear and a banana in there and a little oatmeal, coconut and raisins- but the sum of it all is what matters- and that means a refreshing, light but satisfying breakfast! Full of flavor, very healthy, not loaded with sugar and just plain good eating!

I never get around to breakfasting during the week, but at the weekend I do like to indulge. There are lots of things I enjoy having for breakfast, but somehow oatmeal is my favorite. I like it hot, I like it cold, I like it cooked and I like it raw... and sometimes, I like it toasted in the pan like this!


I really do like preparing oatmeal this way- it is easy to do and so delicious. I started off by cutting a ripe banana into slices and dropping them into a hot non-stick frying pan. When it begins to sizzle, add the oatmeal and stir it in well. Now add some coconut flakes, cinnamon and raisins. Keep stirring and occasionally mash one of the pieces down so that the oatmeal sticks to it in clusters. Don't forget to add a tiny pinch of salt as it rounds off the flavors nicely and just makes for a better flavor.

Keep stirring and mashing down, scraping off and stirring over and over, until it starts to crisp up. Now add a little squeeze of honey and turn off the heat- keep stirring though, so that everything gets the lightest sweet glaze. It is important to turn off the heat when you add the honey as it is very easy to heat the honey too high or for too long as it will then become bitter.

Allow to cool and layer with sliced pear and yogurt, drizzle with a little fresh honey, raise your coffee cup to say "cheers!" and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment