Sunday 26 August 2012

Berried Breakfast!

Clafoutis di Avocado, Mirtillo & Menta
Avocado, Blueberry & Mint Clafoutis


At last a sweet breakfast again! Nothing spectacular, nothing complicated, but something good- and just a little bit different. Avocado, mint and blueberries- how does that sound? Not bad for a Sunday morning wake-up call, eh? And just a touch more adventurous and fun than your regular pancakes- although hardly any more work! Which can only be a good thing!

I love avocados- they are so versatile and easy to transform into both sweet and savory dishes, whereby the latter seems to occur much less frequently- which was my main motivation this morning! Its creamy texture makes everything that little bit smoother and more satisfying... and just plain old delicious!



I used 2 eggs and a half of an avocado to make this. That together with a 125g tub of blueberries and a cupful of semolina and a little baking powder was all it took! And this is how I put everything together...

I separated the egg yolks and egg whites of both eggs and first whisked the whites until they were fluffy and firm. I added a pinch of salt for stability and a teaspoon of Stevia for sweetness- you can use sugar if your prefer, but then you would need a little more- probably 2 tablespoons for 2 egg whites.


I then mashed the avocado down a little and added it to the yolks, together with the semolina, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 2 teaspoons of Stevia and 2 tablespoons of mint syrup. I whisked these together until I had a smooth batter and then stirred it carefully together with the egg whites... simple!

I spooned the pale green fluffy batter into my baking dish and sprinkled it with the blueberries, then popped it into a hot oven, 300°F, for 15 minutes. After that time, I took it out, drizzled it very lightly with honey and popped it back inside, under the broiler, for a minute or two until it became golden brown... delicious!

Fluffy and light, refreshing and nicely balanced between the tangy berries, the fresh mint and the creamy avocado, this was a cool and yummy breakfast treat! Give it a try some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment