Sunday 5 August 2012

Fluffy Figgy Fun!

Soffice Fritella di Semolina, Fichi e Pistacchio
Fluffy Semolina, Fig & Pistacchio Pancake


I know you are shocked and surprised- but strange though it seems, this weeks Sunday morning special was a banana-free zone today! I had other fruits in my sights... two lovely little figs to be precise- sweet and delicious and sooo good in this fluffy pancake!

I wanted to use something seasonal and figs are in abundance right now- perfect for this mornings breakfast. A handful of pistachio splinters and a little honey and we were in business! I do love these simple things- just 2-3 good flavors and no fuss- my kinda food! And hopefully yours too!


I prepared a simple batter from 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of semolina rather than flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 3 tablespoons of yogurt, 2 teaspoons of Steve and a little vanilla essence.

I first whipped up the egg whites till they were fluffy and firm and then in a separate bowl, the remaining ingredients, which I then poured into the whites and whisked together much more gently. I poured this fluffy batter into a hot non-stick frying pan and then laid out the fig slices on top. I then sprinkled the pistachios over the top and drizzled a fine trail of honey over the surface in a circular motion from the center outwards. By now, after 2-3 minutes, the bottom of the pancake was already firm and cooked and the top was beginning to set too.

Under the broiler it went for a final 2-3 minutes to finish off and to become a beautiful golden brown- so pretty! I left it in the oven for a further 3-4 minutes, just to make sure it was cooked and fluffy through and through... and it was... and it was delicious! And so simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment