Thursday 23 August 2012

Quiche me Quick!

Torta Salata die Feta, Pomodorini e Spinaci
Feta Cheese, Cherry- Tomato and Spinach Quiche


Simple and simply delicious, this little quiche was rustled up using, you guessed it, the last few remainders of my fridge! And who knew you could make such a substantial meal out of so little?!?!

You are looking at the results of a half sheet of puff pastry, 1 egg, 1 handful of spinach and one handful of crumbled feta- which really doesn't sound like enough food to satisfy anyone for supper... Oh, but it was! And I was very satisfied indeed!


I started off by quickly blanching the spinach in a little boiling water for 30-40 seconds, then draining and sautéeing it in a little olive oil for 2-3 minutes. I then set it to one side to cool off, but turned on my oven to warm up... cooking is such a strange thing sometimes!

Next, I prepared the other ingredients for the quiche, including cutting of a 2" chunk of feta cheese and crumbling it up, slicing a few (3) cherry tomatoes in half, chopping a Spring onion up finely and grating a clove of garlic with a micro plane.

I cracked the egg into a bowl, added a splash of milk and whisked it together, seasoning with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little Tabasco, to form a light but flavorful "royale". And wouldn't you know it- that is all of the troublesome prep-work done right there!


Time to put this little baby together! Simply line your baking dish with the puff pastry, pressing it into shape into all the corners and then trimming off any excess with a sharp knife. Arrange the spinach and tomatoes evenly inside and sprinkle the feta cheese into the spaces in-between. Sprinkle the Spring onion on top along with the grated garlic, pour the royale over everything and allow it to seep out and fill the form completely. Sprinkle generously with black pepper, grate with a little more nutmeg, and pop into the oven for 20 minutes at 350°F until deliciously golden brown and fluffy... what a treat! I really enjoyed it- and I hope you do too!

2 comments:

  1. Looks mighty fine, Francesco! And you've taught me a new culinary term, "royale". I always just called it an egg custard, but royale sounds, well, a lot classier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frank- glad you like it... as ever! Pity there are a couple of thousand miles between us, otherwise it would be fun too cook and talk food together, eh? BTW- the spinach I used was the "New Zealand" variety, should you ever see that on offer- I was skeptical at first as to whether there was any difference between it and "regular" spinach, but it really is a whole lot tastier! Saluti da Francoforte! Francesco

    PS: Those French come up with these fancy cooking terms for the most mundane things- lol!

    ReplyDelete