Monday 17 September 2012

Dinner on the Double!

Gemelli con i Gamberi, Zucchine, Pepe, Pomodorini e Basilico
Gemelli with Shrimp, Zucchini, Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes and Basil


I needed to get my dinner made quickly this evening as I needed to pack for my vacation! I needed to empty my fridge, I needed to satisfy my hunger and I did all of that and so much more with this delicious dish!

Gemelli noodles, which translates as "twins", based on their twisted double-tube form, are one of my favorites- especially for saucy dishes like this one. Their shape makes them perfect for taking in a lot of sauce and so much fun to eat- I really love them- especially when they are prepared this way!

I started the pasta boiling and started the sauce at the same time... that's right- this whole dish only takes about 10 minutes to make!


While the water came up to the boil, I chopped a little carrot, celery and onion and sautéed it for a few minutes with a small amount of chopped bacon. After 2-3 minutes I added a little finely chopped garlic. By that time, the water was boiling, so I dropped in the pasta, gave it a stir and then reduced the heat to a low simmer and let it carry on boiling whilst I got back to the sauce...

Next, I quickly diced a small zucchini, cut a small pointy red pepper in to strips, finely chopped a handful of parsley and added these to the frying pan. I seasoned with salt, pepper, a little dry oregano and then added a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste. I stirred everything together well, added the shrimp and turned up the heat whilst I browned them off a little.

I deglazed the pan with a shot of Sambuca and then added a little water to loosen up all the good flavors from the base of the pan- and in next to no time I had a lovely, rich, thick and flavorful sauce going on! All I needed to do now was to add a handful of halved cherry tomatoes and let these simmer for 1-2 minutes...

Once the pasta was ready, I drained off most of the water and added it to the sauce in the pan. I stirred the pasta in well and let it simmer for 1-2 minutes and soak up the sauce. I added a shot of tabasco, a little pinch of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon- and hey-presto! Dinner was served!

Along with a few young, fresh basil leaves and a last drizzle of olive oil, that was all I needed for a wonderful dinner! You may want to add cheese- I personally don't like the combination of cheese and seafood- but that is purely a matter of taste. Where as this dish in itself is a sure thing! And I am sure you are going to love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment