Sunday 21 October 2012

Bake Way for Breakfast!

Sformata di Patate, Rucola, Pancetta, Pomodoro e Uova
Potato, Arugula, Bacon, Tomato & Egg Breakfast Bake


Sunday morning- and what do we have in the fridge that we can re-cycle into breakfast? No, no- fear not, I am not going to do another oatmeal and banana creation this time! I was in the mood for something savory myself. I DID have some mashed potatoes... but how useful can they be to you at breakfast time?

Well, they can be very useful- if you have a little bacon, a couple of eggs, some arugula and a cherry tomato or two handy... because you can use them to make a yummy soufflé-typed dish like this as an alternative to your regular omelette! Same ingredients- just much more fun! Let me tell you how to make it- it is really easy!


I started off by steaming the arugula, (this was just a good handful for this individual serving), for 4-5 minutes. I found it less messy and more convenient than sautéing it and in the meantime, I cracked 2 eggs into the mashed potatoes (also just one good serving- 2 scoops or so). By that time, the arugula was wilted down and soft and as soon as it cooled down, I chopped it up finely and added it to the egg and potatoes.

I added a chopped spring onion that I had fried briefly with a handful of finely chopped bacon- this all went in, along with a tablespoon of baking powder, and I whisked it all together until it was a nice, even mix. I then added a couple of tablespoons of bread crumbs, just to give it a little more body and stability, as they would absorb any excess moisture during baking.


I seasoned it with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg and then poured it out into my baking dish. I added a sprinkle of finely chopped tomato right at the end, so that it would stay on top and have a chance to cook better... and into the oven it went! I baked it for 25 minutes at 250°F and then took it out and added a little- just a little honey! This was to counter-point the faint bitterness of the arugula... and I did it just by instinct- but my instinct paid off! This was a nice and satisfying but light breakfast- a perfect way to start the day! You may want to try it yourselves sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment