Wednesday 12 December 2012

Tongue-Tied-Terrific!

Sorbetto di Yogurt con Mirtillo, Scorze di Agrumi, Grani di Pepe Rosso, Granatina & Menta
Yogurt Sorbet with Cranberry, Citrus Zest, Red Pepper Corns, Grenadine & Mint


"But this is madness!" you cry! And you may well be right! And the strangest thing of all is- I was quite sober when I dreamt up this combination! What was originally going to be a simple frozen yogurt, became a crazy, complex and wonderful dessert to be savored and enjoyed... I just wish you could be enjoying it with me! But... being as you can't, I suppose the second-best thing is for me to tell you how I made it so you can try it for yourselves!

Apart from the fact that the ingredients may be a little out of the ordinary, the truth of the matter is that it was basically a simple matter of stirring and waiting around to make this- just like any frozen yogurt or sorbet. Your freezer is going to do all of the hard work for you and freeze everything up- your part of the deal is simply to interrupt occasionally, stir well and make sure that the ice-crystals that form remain small and separate and that it doesn't simply become a solid block. But let me recap those ingredients and how I put them together...


I started with the zest of an orange, a lemon and a lime- mostly because of the colors I will admit. I dropped them into a cup, covered them with boiling water and let them sit for 3-4 minutes, then poured off the water and a lot of bitterness, and repeated the procedure one more time. I then chopped some fresh mint as finely as possible and added this to the yogurt first- so as to not lose all of the mints essential oils- this way they become well absorbed into the yogurt. I sweetened my yogurt with Stevia, but you can use confectioners sugar if you prefer- it needs to be nice and fine so that it dissolves well into the yogurt and does not give it a grainy texture. 

I then added cranberries, the zest, and a few red pepper corns, along with a little grenadine. Once everything was nicely mixed, I popped it into the freezer for half an hour, then took it out and stirred it again. I repeated this, stirring every half hour, for the next 2-3 hours, after which the yogurt had become firm yet creamy in consistency and at this point I filled my sorbet mix into a metal ring- which of course does not have to be by any way, shape or form! You can simply leave it in a regular container and serve it up using an ice cream scoop- or even freeze it as a block and cut off slices as you would a "parfait". The great thing is the mix of the sweetness of the grenadine and the freshness of the mint, then the tanginess of the citrus zest and the heat of the pepper- it's like a circus-act of your tongue! Give it a go and take a walk on the wild side- you might just like the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment