Sunday 9 December 2012

Wake Up and Eat the Coffee!

Budino di Caffè con Cachi
Sticky Coffee Pudding with Persimmon



It's the thing most of us think of first when we wake up in the morning... coffee! And because we usually want it as soon as possible with as little effort as possible, instant coffee was invented. Ugh. I have to say that I find instant coffee, just like 99% of all real coffee lovers, pretty awful, but at the same time, I always have it at home as it can come in very handy as an ingredient in the kitchen.

So whilst my real coffee was brewing, I whipped together the ingredients for this little chewy coffee cake, which was similar to those soft-centered chocolate muffins that everyone loves... there was just a tiny bit more of it! But actually, it was more of a baked custard kind of affair... topped with lovely ripe persimmon shavings, this made a change from the same old same old... and that can only be a good thing!
  

For this individual serving, I took one egg which I separated. I beat the yolk, together with 3 tablespoons of flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 4 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 tablespoon of instant coffee and a teaspoon of Stevia, but you can of course use sugar if you wish. I added a little cinnamon and a splash of milk and then whisked everything until it was light and frothy.  I then added the egg whites, which I had beaten to a firm snow and folded them in gently. Once the batter was nicely, smoothly mixed, I poured it into a baking dish and popped it into the oven for 25 minutes at 300°. And had a nice cup of real coffee.

After I finished my coffee, I peeled the persimmon and then proceeded to take off shavings of the fruit itself using the peeler. The important thing here is to fold those shavings immediately into little rolls and to not simple lay them on a plate and think you can do that later... like I did... because you will find them almost impossible to separate from another if you don't!

In any case, 25 minutes later, the baked pudding/cake was ready to come out of the oven... and wouldn't you know it- just 5-6 minutes after that, I had topped it with persimmon, poured myself another mug of hot coffee and was tucking in to a terrific breakfast! Needless to say I was super awake the whole rest of the day... and probably still will be tonight! Haha! No, fear not dear reader... much rather- enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment