Sunday 10 February 2013

Double-Take Pancake

Frittelle di Mela, Avena e Mandorla
Apple, Oatmeal & Almond Pancakes


Are you anything like me in this respect... you plan on doing one thing and then suddenly change you mind and find some other idea much more exciting? Fortunately, my spontaneous suggestions tend to turn out well... in the kitchen at least! So here is the latest example for you to enjoy along with me...

It was going to be my usual favorite of oatmeal for breakfast. I already had my oatmeal in a bowl, at the ready. I was about to start boiling up some milk. Everything was just fine... and THEN I thought "pancakes!". At the same time, I thought: oatmeal= flapjacks (the Scottish, baked oatmeal cookies). Now I was really in trouble... or was I?


Well, I obviously wasn't, as there are already pictures posted here of something delicious... which is exactly what happens when you make a combination of all those ideas, add apple and cinnamon and get creative!

To make them, I simply took 2 eggs, separated them and started off by whisking the whites up into a fluffy snow. In another bowl, I added 4 tablespoons of flour to the yolks, with half a cup of milk, a teaspoon of cinnamon, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of Stevia and a tablespoon of baking powder. Yes, yes, you can use sugar if you prefer :-) , but I didn't want my pancakes to be too sweet, as I would be adding apple and honey later. So... on with the show!

I whisked together everything but the oatmeal, into a smooth batter and then added the oatmeal until I had a batter that was the consistency of, say a bread dough. Soft but firm. And to this firm batter, I added the egg whites, little by little, until the dough/batter was soft again, but this time, filled with fluffy bubbles. I let the batter sit for 3-4 minutes, in which time I peeled a small apple and cut it into slices, ready to go as soon as my frying pan was hot!

At the last minute, I added about 4 tablespoon of slivered almonds into the mix and then began to make my little pancakes. I measured 2 tablespoons of batter per pancake and placed 2 slices of apple on top. The pancakes were ready to flip as soon as air bubbles began to form in the middle of the pancakes, around the apple slices. Over they went for another 2-3 minutes and out came my plate and my coffee mug, ready for breakfast! Yum!

I served them up with honey and some toasted almonds and they were great- with the oatmeal they were fluffy inside and had a great rich texture... delicious! Next time I don't think I will think twice- I will make these straight off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment