Sunday 21 April 2013

Huevos Alternativos!

Uova Strappazzate con Dragoncello, Avocado & Tortilla
Tarragon Egg Scramble with Avocado & Tortillas


Nope, eggs and tortillas is not a typical combination at a European breakfast table- you're right there! But on my trips to the USA in the past I have seen any number of such dishes, "Huevos Rancheros" or "Huevos Cubanos" being the most common- but I like the combination and so I decided to make a little dish of my own this morning...

Having picked up some love, fragrant, anis-flavored tarragon yesterday, which I was planning on using this morning with poached eggs- a combination I really like. But I woke up wanting something a little more extravagant and colorful- something to cheer me up a little. And that was when I came up with the idea for this! You can't get your day off to much more of a sunny start than this- believe me!


This was obviously very simple to make- but I will tell you how I did it all the same. First of all, I toasted the tortillas a little in a dry pan of course until they softened up and became lightly golden. Whilst that was happening I prepared the eggs, to which I added a little green Tabasco, a little milk, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. I also finely chopped a Spring onion and plucked a few leaves from the tarragon.

As soon as I took the tortillas out of the pan, I added the onion and tarragon with a pat of butter and let them sizzle for a minute or so before adding the eggs. I made sure not to beat the eggs too much before adding them, as I always prefer to have both yolk and whites in my scramble and not simply one uniform mass- it's a personal preference but I just think they taste more interesting that way.

I poured the eggs over the onion and tarragon and began to fold it gently together as it set, using a wooden spatula. Whilst the eggs were sizzling, I prepared the avocado and tomato slices  and spread them out on my dish, ready for serving. after 2-3 minutes at the most, the eggs were ready, and I spooned them into the middle of my serving dish. I sprinkled the avocado and tomatoes with salt and pepper, added a few fresh and tender leaves of tarragon and sat down with a coffee, a glass of juice, this epic breakfast and a huge smile on my face! And you know what? That is something you can all do too! So enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment