Monday 1 April 2013

In The Raw

Insalata di Zucchine & Ravanellini con Foglie di Sedano & Origano
Radish & Zucchini Salad with Celery Greens & Oregano


This evening, it had to be a salad. It just had to. You see- I had forgotten about the bunch of radishes I brought back from the market hall on Saturday- and I also had half of a yellow zucchini from a couple of days back... and I hate to let good food go past its prime, or worse still, to waste. No, no... something had to be done!

To be honest, my main inspiration to make a salad using the yellow zucchini, was the fact that I always buy them because I think they look pretty- and they do when they are raw... but when they are cooked, I find then a little pale and bland and "meh"-looking... that's the truth of it! That's why it was still sitting there in my fridge! But raw is another matter entirely...


So, as you can see, the prep-work was pretty simple here! The zucchini was cut into quarters length-ways and then into slices and the radishes were sliced relatively thin. The dressing was a mix of 3 tablespoons yogurt, to 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon honey and the juice of half a lime. I stirred this well together and then marinated the zucchini and radishes in it for 10 - 15 minutes. 

In the meantime, I ground up some of my favorite seasoned salt- you can check it out again here: http://the-saucy-chef.blogspot.de/2011/05/salt-of-earth.html This would be what was to elevate the flavor to new heights... and it surely did!

Once the salad had marinated nicely, I served it up with some lovely, tender, young celery leaves and some fresh oregano leaves. Together with the seasoned salt and the yogurt dressing- quite a delicious combination! And something I will certainly keep in mind for the Summer months... if Summer ever comes around this year... lol! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment