Friday 26 April 2013

Snack Attack

Pizzette in Padella, con Pomodorini, Peperone Dolce, Basilico & Mozzarella
Pan-Grilled Pizza Snacks with Tomato, Peppers, Basil & Mozzarella


It was a long, hard day again today at work and by the time I got home, I was exhausted from it all, soaking wet from the rain, starving and frustrated- not a good combination! I was definitely too tired to go out and loathe to order in... but I needed something to cheer me up... whilst preferably emptying out my fridge to make way for some goodies from the farmers market tomorrow... as always on a Friday evening!

I had a small roll of pizza dough, some mini bell peppers, cherry tomatoes and basil and a last little bit of mozzarella... and together with a little basil and a hint of garlic- I decided that, that was all that I needed to make a yummy snack in just a few minutes- a perfect solution to my predicament- and fun to make as well!

So these were as simple and quick to make as Bruschetta, but a little more fun- as well as being much prettier... and much more suited to the cold evening we had again today... but in any case a real treat that maybe you will try yourselves sometime!


This was probably as quick to make as a sandwich really- all it took was a tiny bit of multi-tasking and a grill frying pan. To make it, I unrolled the pizza dough and cut it into handy little pieces. I popped the slices onto the hot, dry pan- no oil needed, for 1-2 minutes and then as soon as the dough was firm and crisp from below, flipped it over onto the other side for a minute or two. It doesn't need to be baked through as it will get finished in the oven, but as soon as it is lightly brown you can set it to one side and get busy preparing the rest.

Whilst the pizza bases were browning in the frying pan I turned on the broiler so it would be hot and ready to go, and prepared the topping, ready to go in just a few minutes. I finely sliced the sweet, mini peppers, the cherry tomatoes and some Spring onion... and I also peeled one clove of garlic and plucked a handful of basil... ready to go!

Once they were all done, I took the pizza bases and rubbed them with the garlic, as you would a Bruschetta slice, then lay on the basil leaves, then the tomatoes, then I sprinkled the mozzarella on top and finally the thinly sliced yellow and orange peppers. I sprinkled everything lightly with salt, added some coarsely-ground pepper and popped them into the oven to finish crispy up, cooking through and browning off- and obviously all that took was 2-3 minutes of the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment