Tuesday 7 May 2013

Something to Relish!

Pollo allo Zenzero & Limone con Contorno di Cetriolo, Ravanello & Menta
Lime & Ginger Tandoori Chicken with Cucumber, Radish & Mint Relish


This exotic-looking dish is actually incredibly easy to make, is quick, easy and economical and makes a perfect meal for the warmer days ahead... if the Spring and Summer ever do actually decide to happen at all this year that is! But what could be more refreshing than this, as well as being light, tasty and fun?!?

This is basically a simple reconstruction of my left-overs from the weekend- I had a nice, juicy breast of chicken, a handful of radishes... and a cucumber that I bought for no reason I could remember! The chicken was easy and was simply sautéed with ginger, infused with lime and reloaded with tandoori spice at the end... but the improvised cucumber and radish relish was simply delicious whilst being healthy and light! And that's all good stuff!


I started off by grating the radishes, salting them lightly and letting them sit for 10 minutes or so, whilst I sliced the cucumber into quarters lengthways, cut out the seeds from the middle and cut the rest into fine slices, before salting it and leaving it to the same fate as the radish. 
Being as both cucumber and radishes give off a lot of water when cut, this is a tedious step that has to be taken... so that you can then wring out all of this excess moisture before going ahead and preparing your relish!

The next step was to finely slice a Spring onion and to add it to the cucumber and radish mix, then season with salt, pepper, a little crushed garlic, the juice of half a lime and a good handful of fresh mint. These all went in next, with a drizzle of flaxseed oil, a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey to taste. I mixed this all together and then popped it into the fridge to develop in flavor and chill for a while until the chicken was ready...

For the chicken, I prepared a simple marinade of the juice of the other half lime, some grated ginger, a little sesame oil, some crushed garlic, salt, pepper and a little Tabasco. I let this sit for 10-15 minutes... a couple of hours would have been better... but I was hungry! And into a very hot frying pan it went! I added no extra oil at all as there was already some in the marinade and the chicken sizzled and browned just nicely without it. Once the chicken did actually begin to brown, I spooned over some of the marinade and added a little honey, flipped it a couple of times and set it to one side whilst I spooned some of that yummy, fresh and tangy relish onto my serving dish... because it was time to eat!

The finishing touch to the chicken was a sprinkle of Tandoori spice, which gave it an extra tanginess that went wonderfully with the refreshing, minty, yogurt in the relish- pretty much near perfect I'd say! Try it out for yourselves and you tell me! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment