Tuesday 27 August 2013

Totally Corny!


Mais, Grigliata nella Buccia, con Sriracha, Limone & Huacatay


Corn, Grilled in the Husk, with Sriracha, Lime & Huacatay


It's that time of year, corn is in season and I decided I was not going to be the only one not enjoying it... even though I don't usually go crazy for it to be honest! Oh, corn is fine I suppose, but for my taste a little boring in its sweetness and a little bland in general. So this evening I decided to try a little experiment! 

I have a whole, big bunch of "huacatay" at home again at the moment- and I am not afraid to use it! I figured the rich, lemony flavor would go well with the corn, especially if I added some fresh lime juice so as to add a little tanginess and and some hot sriracha sauce for a little blast of fire!


This is was really, really easy to make. I started by peeling back the husk, to reveal the silk around the corn, which I removed and then I briefly dipped the corn into water to moisten the husk a little.  whilst that was going on, I plucked a handful of haucatay leaves and chopped them finely. And I am sorry to say that, THAT was all of the prep-work necessary!

I then smeared the corn with sriracha sauce- how much you use depends on your personal taste- but this hot Thai chili sauce really packs a punch! Once I had smeared the corn lightly with sauce, I sprinkled the corn with the finely-chopped huacatay, a little salt and the juice of half a lime. 


I folded the husk closed again and laid the corn onto my hot grill pan for at least 3-4 minutes without touching it- this gave it a chance to singe a little and to give the corn some good flavor. I added a little splash of water into the pan, which immediately became a cloud of steam and disappeared- but not before helping the corn to cook more easily!

I flipped the corn over and over until all sides were nice and brown, repeated the water thing another 1-2 times, but with only a tiny splash of water! You don#t want to boil the corn!


Once the corn is nicely browned-off all around, it is ready to be peeled open, sprinkled with salt and a little more lime juice and enjoyed! No butter here! No added fat! Just pure, corn goodness, fresh herb flavor and hot, chili excitement! Yow! And My Goodness, it was Good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment