Saturday 21 September 2013

Mini-Uns

Insalata di Mini-Cetrioli & Pomodoro
Mini -Cucumber & Tomato Salad


Size does matter- in so many aspects of life (please, no rude remarks!) and when it comes to food and ingredients, there are many of them to be found in smaller sizes than the regular ones... for example, cherry tomatoes, mini eggplants, mini peppers... and I though I had seen it all until I saw these at the market hall today... mini cucumbers! 

Bright green, with streaky markings, if you had told me they were lizards (or even dragons) eggs, I might well have believed you! But once I asked, was told what they are and then tasted one- I knew I had to take them with me and give them a go!


In all fairness, they are a lot prettier than they are tasty, because they do have a slightly bitter edge to the flavor... but taking that into consideration, I set about making them work really well in a simple but eye-catching salad. 

To make it, I halved the cucumbers and sprinkled them with salt, pepper and sugar, drizzled them slightly with lemon juice and let them sit from 15-30 minutes. In the meantime, I sliced up the tomatoes laid them out on my serving dish and sprinkled them too with salt, pepper and olive oil. 

I then took a small handful of dill, which I finely chopped and added it to 3 tablespoons of yogurt, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the juice of half a lime, a tablespoon of honey, salt and pepper. That was my dressing for the cucumbers already seen to!


All I needed to do now was to serve them up and dress them up! The cucumbers went into the middle of the dish, then on went the yogurt dressing, spooned carefully and evenly- just enough to give them a nice coating. A few final tips from the dill leaves as a garnish, a last sprinkle of coarse black pepper... and ta-da! Supper was started! Now... on to the main course... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment