Monday 9 June 2014

Fruity as a Pancake!

Fritelle di Albicocca, Mandorla, Pistacchie & Huacatay
Apricot Pancakes with Almond, Pistachio & Huacatay


 

It had been such a long time since I prepared something sweet for breakfast- and being as I have some wonderful, aromatic, Huacatay at the moment, I decided to make something fruity with it- because that is what I like to use it with most of all.

This wonderful, citrus-fresh tasting, Peruvian herb is just one of my very favorite things at the moment- I would so love for everyone to be able to enjoy it!
 

 

As you can see- I made pancakes... as you may have gathered from the title and the pictures- they were flavored with apricot... but not only that, the large majority of the batter was made using pureed apricot, with very little egg and no milk! Now that's a little different, right?

 

Except for the flour, the honey and the cinnamon, which are not in the picture, you can see everything I needed to make 6 little pancakes right here: 1 egg, 4 apricots, a handful of slivered almonds, 2 tablespoons of ground pistachio, a little ginger and a few leaves of Huacatay.

  

The method is very simple- as are the ingredients, but the result is quite different and these little beauties are such a treat and a really pleasant change to the same-old same-old pancakes... you might even find that you like these things! Haha!

 

Simply blend the 4 apricots together with the egg using an immersion blender or food mixer. Once all the lumps are gone and the mixture is smooth and fluffy, add the huacatay- I had 9-10 leaves of it here- and 1 tablespoon of ground pistachio.

Blend these in until the leaves are totally minced and mixed-in and then add a little sugar, a pinch of salt, a teaspoon of baking powder and of course flour. I added 3 tablespoons of flour and the consistency was perfect- it will all depend on the size of the egg you use.


 

Allow the batter to rest for 5-6 minutes before frying and then spoon the batter, 2-3 tablespoons for each one, into a hot pan with a little butter. Fry for 2-3 minutes before flipping over, then for a further 2-3 minutes from the other side and that's about it! You will have little, unspectacular looking, but awesome tasting little pancakes just like these here! But the best is yet to come!
 

As the apricots I used were nice and sweet, I prepared my pancakes with no added sugar... but I did add a nice generous trickle of honey to them!

 

But of course, the honey alone wasn't delicious enough! On went the second tablespoon of ground pistachios as a glorious finishing touch!

A couple pf slices of apricot and a leaf or two of Huacatay later, my dish was wonderfully garnished and looking as tasty and can be!

And that means very tasty indeed!


 

That DOES look rather delicious, doesn't it?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment