Sunday 22 February 2015

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'...

Rotelle di Tortilla con Ricotta Fresca, Mela, Uva Secca & Cannella
Tortilla with Fresh Ricotta, Apple, Raisins & Cinnamon

 

Breakfast in a jiffy? With no stress, lots of fun and flavor- ready in just the time it takes for your coffee to brew- and nice and healthy to boot? How does that sound? Pretty good, huh? ;-)

I just improvised these rolls and made them up as I went along- sometimes that is the best way to go about it! Grab a couple of ingredients, start doing SOMETHING- and trust your instincts rather than using your head too much!


 

As you know, I like to keep the sugar and fat as low as possible in my food- but still, I like to have fun with what I am doing and lots of flavor in what I eat!

And basically, all I need to do, in order to achieve that, is to stop and think for a minute- rule out all of the things that are out of the question- and base my decisions on the options that are left over... simple!


 

You can't get easier than this- a couple of flour tortilla's, an apple, 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese and honey and cinnamon for sweetness and spice. It's more than enough to start your day and it's all you need to do so!

 

Toasted with a light crunch on the outside, but totally fresh and raw and vibrant on the inside- perfect, refreshing and healthy too!

 

Especially if you are using a low-fat Ricotta, and just a little honey, as I did- these are a perfect breakfast to satisfy your hunger and to keep you on track if you're on a diet. I love enjoying my food and doing it in a guilt-free way. ;-) 

 

Simply peel, core and grate the apple, sprinkle generously with cinnamon and a tiny pinch of salt and stir together. The salt will help to draw the juice out of the apple and also to heighten its flavor.

 

Next, squeeze the excess juice out of the apple- you don't want the tortillas to end up being wet and soggy!

 

Add the apple to the ricotta and sweeten with honey to taste- I only added 1 teaspoon to mine as the apple brought a lot of sweetness of its own. Stir thoroughly together- use a whisk or a machine if you prefer, but for this small amount, I found that simply using a fork was fine.

 

The lack of raisins in my ingredient photo serves as evidence that they were indeed an afterthought during the invention of my breakfast- But I am so glad I did add think of adding them!

 

Once everything was blended nicely together, I spread the tortilla with it lightly and popped it into a frying pan over a moderate heat.

 

After a minute or two, the tortilla begins to soften up and this is the right time to gently roll it together. Make sure that you do not spread too much filling onto the tortilla, or it will end up spilling out! Yes, yes, yeas I know I repeat myself on this point all the time.... but less is more!

 

Once the tortilla is completely rolled, place it back in the pan with the last, overlapping edges facing downwards, so that it begins to toast up and become firm first- and therefore holds all of the goodness in. Now gently rotate the rolls so as to brown them a little more from all sides.


And the finished rolls will look something like this- and take no more than 4-5 minutes to make at the most!

 

The good part is that those outer edges, that are a little emptier and not quite "up to par" can be snacked on whilst you cut and arrange the others for serving! Ah! The perks of being a cook! Haha!

 

A tiny extra drizzle of honey- why not? The rest is so sensible you can go ahead and enjoy! Oh- and in case you think I am exaggerating when I say "less is more" when it comes to the filling- you will see that I am absolutely right and that it will squeeze out if you have too much and are not careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment