Saturday 4 April 2015

Edible Rainbow!

Frittata di Bietola Colorata, Patate, Pancetta & Ricotta Fresca al Forno
Baked Frittata with Colored Chard, Potatoes, Bacon & Fresh Ricotta Cheese


You can make an omelette... you can make a frittata... and you can something pretty awesome like this as well!

Actually, come to think of it, it is like a crazy version of a Spanish potato tortilla... only this one has been taken "over the rainbow" with the addition of the wonderful red and yellow chard I bought at the market hall this afternoon. And this evening... it just had to be!


 

Amazingly, It only took 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of fresh ricotta cheese to make this lovely, thick and satisfying frittata- which was big enough for 2 servings! With a little green salad on the side, this would have been a great, light supper... but being as I didn't have any green salad... or anyone to share with... I just ate it all! And it made a perfectly amazing supper all by itself- haha!

 
 
To make this, I needed 2 small Swiss chard- I chose the colored one obviously, simply for the looks- regular chard would also be fine. 2 small potatoes, 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of fresh Ricotta cheese, 1 Spring onion, 2 tablespoons of finely chopped bacon, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simple ingredients- not much of them- and such a super dish was born!

 

A wonderful combination of the sweet, but also the slightly earthy flavor of the chard, along with the salty and savory bacon, the creamy ricotta and the satisfying potatoes and the flavorful nutmeg... well- who could ask for more?

 

I gave the chard a good wash, plucked away the leaves and cut the stalks into small, bite-sized pieces. I peeled the potatoes, cut them in half and then cut each half into thin slices.

 

I popped them into a saucepan, seasoned them well with salt and covered them with boiling water.

 

I then put the leaves on top, put on the lid, turned up the heat and let everything boil and steam together for 10-15 minutes.

 

After that time, the vegetables were nicely cooked and the leaves had cooked down and diminished in size considerably.

I rinsed everything off with cold water to help col them, set the potato and chard to one side to drip-dry and wrung out the chard leaves to get rid of any excess moisture.


 

I cut the onion into fine slices and gave the leaves a good chop!

 

I then turned on the oven to get it hot and ready and in the meantime fried the bacon and onion together for 2-3 minutes, then set it to one side to cool, whilst I began to put together the other ingredients and start assembling my frittata.

 

First, I put my 2 tablespoons of ricotta into a bowl, added the egg, seasoned with salt, pepper and plenty of nutmeg and gave everything a good stir with a fork.

 

No fancy gadgets are needed- it all comes together nicely just so!

 

Next, in go the finely chopped leaves.

 

And a few stirs later, the mixture looks something like this!

 

And then spoon the mixture into a smaller frying pan or baking dish- so that you get a thicker result. I love using the frying pan, as you know, because I can start the cooking/baking process on the stove top and get some direct heat to the base before transferring the frittata to the oven. I think it helps get the base to set more nicely.

In any case- off it then goes, into a hot oven, at 200°C for 25-30 minutes, until it becomes golden brown and delicious- all as simple as can be!

And in the meantime- be a good housewife or husband... or whatever- and do that tidying up! You heard me!


Because by the time you are finished... your frittata will be too- and it will be smelling and looking glorious! That's all the reward you need!

 

I placed a small plate on top of mine and flipped the pan in order to get it out nicely... and very nice it looks to with all those colors!

 

And with all of those great flavors- the bacon, ricotta and nutmeg to go with the potato and chard... you have everything you need to make a great little meal, all wrapped into one!

 

My kind of food! And yours too, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment