Thursday 4 June 2015

An Apple a Day...

Torta di Polenta & Yogurt in Padella con Mela, Cannella, Zenzero Candito, Mandorle & Miele
Polenta & Yogurt Oven Pancake with Apple, Cinnamon, Candied Ginger, Honey & Almonds

 

How nice to have a day off work and to have the chance to fix myself a little breakfast this morning... Yay! But with little left in the fridge and everything shut here in Germany... That means being able to improvise and well, that's easy enough for me! It's all I ever do in the kitchen anyway!

So, here is another example of just how easy it can be to make something yummy from next to nothing in next to no time... Read on and enjoy!


 

When push comes to shove and you are in a fix to come up with the inspiration to make something tasty, it is usually best to play it safe and work with flavor combinations that work well. Apple and cinnamon? You got it! You can't go far wrong with that... But with a couple of extra ingredients, you can go further and make it better!

 

Behold- this is the epic ingredient list for my delicious pancake! 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of polenta, 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of honey, a scattering of slivered almonds, a pat of butter and a slice of candied ginger.

 

Light and fluffy from the beaten egg whites and the yogurt, but with a good "bite" from the grainy polenta, this was a nice change from any regular pancakes. Rather than make 3-4 smaller ones, I decided to make one single pancake that filled my smallest frying pan... This is a 6" circle of scrumptiousness my friends! 

And it was ALL MINE!


I began by grating the apple coarsely and adding the cinnamon and finely chopped candied ginger. I decided to leave the peel on my apple- that's purely up to you! I stirred everything together well and set it to one side, then turned on the oven to get it hot and got busy preparing the batter.

 

I began the batter by stirring briskly together the egg yolk and yogurt with the flour and baking powder.


I then whisked up the egg whites and folded them gently but thoroughly into the batter. 

 

I then poured the batter into a lightly buttered pan and began frying it on the stovetop... After 3-4 minutes I popped it into the oven at 180 C for a further 3-4 minutes and then took it out and spooned on enough of the grated apple and cinnamon to cover the top nicely. I added a few dabs of honey here and there and popped it back into the oven for a further 5-6 minutes.

By now the pancake was done and all I needed to do was to add the almond slivers and a light drizzle of honey and to pop it back into the oven for the last few minutes until they were nicely golden brown.


 

So yes, there was a little attention to be paid with the pancake going in and out of the oven, but it was all done so quickly and the whole procedure was so simple that it was no work at all... And after just 30 minutes in all, I was enjoying this beautiful treat and starting my day off with a smile!

 

Take a bite... I think you might enjoy it!

 
  
Oh you did enjoy it? Well in that case... Take a bigger bite! I ate mine up in next to no time... And I'm pretty sure that you will to

No comments:

Post a Comment