Sunday 23 August 2015

Greek Rarebit

Greek Rarebit

 

Summertime- and the breakfast is easy. Or at least it should be! There's really no need to be fussing around too much In the kitchen... Even if you do want to have something as delicious and savory as this!

With just a few simple ingredients, (as usual!), I managed to whip up these little "Welsh Rarebit's" with a Greek touch in just 15-20 minutes. One chopping board, one little bowl and one bundle of fun is all it took! Lol! You should try this sometime too!


 

I like to have some little sweet treat with a mug of coffee for breakfast, I do... But sometimes I need something savory for a change, something simple and tasty... And preferably a little bit out of the ordinary... You know me!!!

So this morning I decided to make my little Welsh rarebit, but to add some Mediterranean ingredients like feta cheese and olives, with a touch of herbs and spice... Making it into something of a Greek rarebit I suppose!


 

So what did I do, with my couple of "emergency rolls"- those rye bread rolls from the supermarket that are always great to have on hand in case of emergency.

Well, as you can see... Not much at all! 1 egg, 1/3rd of a block of feta cheese, 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 4 cherry tomatoes, 4 black olives, some fresh basil and parsley, a little salt, plenty of pepper, a touch of nutmeg and a drizzle of olive oil... That was all... But the result was amazing!


 
 
This was as quick to make as any breakfast, but with those lovely olives and feta cheese, this packed a savory punch that made it an absolute knock-out! No boring scrambled egg on toast for me this morning!

 

To prepare the topping, I simply whisked together the egg with 2 tablespoons of yogurt and then crumbled in the feta cheese. I seasoned it generously with pepper and nutmeg and stirred everything together... Easy!

 

I then added the diced cherry tomatoes, the sliced up olives and the finely chopped basil and parsley... Stirred them through... And started my rolls toasting from the crusty side- because that was all my work done already in just 5 minutes!

 

All I needed to do now was to fetch out the rolls, flip them over and then spoon on the topping evenly. I then drizzled them lightly with olive oil and sprinkled the tomatoes lightly with salt.

And then back under the grill they went for 5-10 minutes on a moderate setting, so that the egg would cook through, the cheese would begin to brown and the tomatoes would sizzle in the olive oil... Perfect!


 

And suddenly I had a whole lot of delicious breakfast right before me as if out of thin air! It really was quite magical! Haha!

 

But more than that... It was delicious! And that is the most important thing of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment